South Africa Pre-Travel Information
This information is intended as a guideline only. It is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Please note that we are providing links to external websites as guidelines for more information only. Karell Travel is not responsible for the content thereof.
Passports are required by all foreign visitors to South Africa and must be valid for at least 6 months after the intended length of your trip. It is essential to have at least two blank, consecutive pages for each country you will be visiting. This excludes Amendment and Endorsement pages. If you do not have the required blank pages, you could be denied boarding on your flight to South Africa.
Visas for U.S. / Canadian citizens are issued upon arrival at no charge. It is is your responsibility to check the entry visa requirements with the individual embassy of each country you intend visiting prior to departure.
*Karell Travel has provided this information as a courtesy only. Although it is accurate to the best of our knowledge, regulations are subject to change without notice and Karell Travel cannot be held liable for travel interruption and/or denial of entry resulting from failure to meet immigration requirements. For the most up to date information, please refer directly to the South African Department of Home Affairs Website.
Health & Vaccines
Electricity & Plugs
- Light-weight shirts/blouses with long sleeves as protection from the sun and mosquitoes
- Jeans or safari trousers
- Light-weight waterproof jacket
- Comfortable walking shoes/sneakers
- Comfortable walking sandals or flip flops for warmer days
- Wide-brimmed hat with under-chin tie to prevent it from flying away
- Warm windproof jacket (winter)
- Fleece (winter)
- Warm turtle neck shirt (winter)
- Beanie (winter) Gloves (winter) Warm scarf (winter)
General Equipment & Accessories
- Spare prescription eye glasses/contact lenses
- Cameras and related paraphernalia, like lenses, etc and plenty of memory cards and spare batteries
- Small powerful flashlight and extra batteries
- Light pack-able backpack or tote to carry equipment and stuff on game vehicles
- Chargers for cell phones, iPad, cameras, computers and you may want to invest in a mini travel charger
- First aid kit (Band-aids, pain relievers, eye drops, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, tissues, chapstick, any prescription medications etc)
Tipping is completely discretionary. If you have received good service, and would like to show your appreciation by tipping, we have enclosed a brief guideline to assist you.
Transfer Driver: $5 US per person
City Touring Guide: $10-$15.00 US per person for half day tours / $20-$25 US per person for full day tours
General Lodge Staff: $25 US per person per day
Safari Guide: $20-25 US per person per day
Restaurants: 10-15% is customary on meal accounts if you are satisfied with the service
Valuable items such as medications, eye glasses, sunglasses, wallets, passports, computers, iPads, cell phones, cameras, binoculars, jewelry etc should be packed in your carry on luggage. We recommend placing a TSA-approved lock on all checked baggage out of an abundance of caution.
Luggage restrictions vary between airlines. Please check with your travel consultant with regard to weight restrictions and quantity / size of bags permitted.
Light Aircraft Flight Restrictions
If your journey contains flights on light aircraft you will be subject to restrictions due to the capacity of the aircraft. You must have a soft-sided duffel bag in order for it to fit in the luggage pod. Hard suitcases are strictly prohibited.
Light aircraft baggage weight allowances typically range from 33 lbs- 44 lbs per person, your consultant will ensure you are notified of the specific requirements of your itinerary. Additional luggage weight allowance can be purchased at a surcharge, subject to availability.
For safety reasons, all light aircraft passengers must provide their personal weight prior to travel to ensure the aircraft is safely loaded within its weight restrictions.