Rwanda Pre-travel information
This information is intended as a guideline only. It is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Please note that we are providing links to external websites as guidelines only, Karell Travel is not responsible for the content thereof.
Get visas upon arrival without prior application
Apply for a visa online via https://irembo.gov.rw/user/citizen/service/dgie/request_a_visa – paying online or upon arrival
Apply for a visa at the Rwanda Diplomatic Missions of the country of residence before departure
Transit visa US $ 30 per person
Tourist visa US $ 50 per person
Tourist Group visa (4 to 10 people) US $ 100
Multiple entry visas US $ 100 per person
Entry & Pre-Departure Requirements
All passengers are no longer required to present COVID-19 test results or vaccination certificates, however, vaccination and regular testing is encouraged
Departing passengers whose airlines or destination country requires a negative COVID-19 test certificate, require testing prior to departure. This can be facilitated by the Rwanda Biometrical Center, Government health centers, and other designated testing sites
Passengers whose airline or destination country do not require a negative COVID-19 test certificate are able to depart Rwanda without testing.
- Passengers arriving from Yellow Fever endemic countries and any country with active Yellow Fever transmission outbreaks are required to present a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate.
These passengers will be required to:
undergo temperature screening on arrival
consent to self-report any symptoms that they may experience in the 6 days following arrival in Rwanda
Passengers with a temperature above 38.5C (101F) will be granted entry into Rwanda but are required to isolate and undergo further investigation for Yellow Fever.
Electricity & Plugs
- Light-weight shirts/blouses with long sleeves as protection from the sun and mosquitoes
- Jeans or safari trousers
- Light-weight waterproof jacket
- Comfortable walking shoes/sneakers
- Comfortable walking sandals or flip flops for warmer days
- Wide-brimmed hat with under-chin tie to prevent it from flying away
- Warm windproof jacket (winter)
- Fleece (winter)
- Warm turtle neck shirt (winter)
- Beanie (winter) Gloves (winter) Warm scarf (winter)
Gorilla Trekking Clothing/Equipment
- Good quality, water-proof hiking boots
- Gardening gloves
- Lightweight waterproof windbreaker
- Moisture-wicking socks
- Long waterproof hiking pants
General Equipment & Accessories
- Spare prescription eye glasses/contact lenses
- Cameras and related paraphernalia, like lenses, etc and plenty of memory cards and spare batteries
- Small powerful flashlight and extra batteries
- Light pack-able backpack or tote to carry equipment and stuff on game vehicles
- Chargers for cell phones, iPad, cameras, computers and you may want to invest in a mini travel charger
- First aid kit (Band-aids, pain relievers, eye drops, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, tissues, chapstick, any prescription medications etc)
Tipping is completely discretionary. If you have received good service, and would like to show your appreciation by tipping, we have enclosed a brief guideline to assist you.
Transfer Driver: $5 US per person
Your Guide: $25 US per person per day
General Lodge Staff: $25 US per person per day
Gorilla Park Guide: $25 US per person per day
Gorilla Trackers: $10 US per person per day
Restaurants / Hotels 10-15% is customary on meal accounts if you are satisfied with the service
Rwanda is located just south of the equator and as a result the tropical climate does not change much throughout the year. Rwanda experiences frequent rains throughout the year with an average annual rainfall of about 40 inches. The heavy rain seasons are from January through April and from October through December.
Average daytime temperatures are about 75 degrees Fahrenheit while nighttime temperatures can drop into the low 50s.